Most of the time, your water heater becomes unable to work efficiently because of the minerals that the water contains. This issue is because the water heater fills with mineral deposits, and that becomes resistant in the way of the inner walls so your water heater may not work effectively. Whenever the lime and calcium get combined inside the water heater, the efficiency of heating decreases significantly, How To Clean Hot Water Heater.
It is because the pipes of the water heater clog up and cannot work accordingly. It will increase your monthly bill as well, so you should be careful while using a water heater. In this article, I am going to tell you how to clean a hot water heater with vinegar. Remember that it is a step by step procedure in which you can apply all the steps to clean your water heater, and you can save yourself from paying massive bills. So here we go now.
How To Clean Hot Water Heater With Vinegar
- Well, the first and foremost thing you should do to clean your water heater is to turn it off primarily. It would be best if you located the heater’s breaker on the electrical box.
- After locating the breaker, turn on the electrical box, the next thing you should do is to flip the switch on the ‘off’ position.
- Now the next thing is to locate the water supply pipe of the water heater. Make sure that the pipeline is above the radiator and not below.
- Close the heater off through turning the lever on the ‘off’ position.
- Follow the steps carefully; you should ensure that you do not miss out on the first two steps. After turning it off and locating its pipes accurately, now you can drain the tank without any hesitation.
- If there is a nearby faucet, turn the hot water on it. The next thing is to locate the drain valve rightly on the bottom of the tank.
- For a garden hose, it may seem like a spigot. Now you can secure the garden hose and drain valves to run the hose to a sink possible. You can also run it to the pan. If there are any kinks in the tube, straighten them out.
- Right so now you should be looking at opening the drain valve slowly and drain the tank.
- To check whether the water is coming out quickly, you should assess both ends of the hose.
- Now drain the tank thoroughly and turn the hot water faucet off. After doing it properly, you can close the drain valves now.
- Pick the anode and locate it on the top of the water heater accurately. You can secure it by a recessed or a large bolt, and you can remove it with a socket wrench or an Allen wrench.
- Determine and assess the manual for particular information about the anode rod accordingly.
- Pick a proper tool to loosen the bolt. After you have loosened the lock, now you can easily remove the anode.
- To the opening left of the anode rod, place the funnel carefully. You should pour at least four gallons of vinegar right into the water heater.
- You should ensure that the water heater tank fills for a reasonable period of five minutes at least after opening the water supply valve.
- Now to ensure a clean water heater, you should let the vinegar stay sit in the tank for a day at least.
- After 24 hours you should open the drain valve, it is the right time to drain out all the vinegar and water.
- In case if there were too many mineral deposits present in your tank, the hose will become clogged, and it will also stop draining.
- Now you can squeeze the hose for a reasonable time till the deposits drain out. You can massage the tube to break the deposits completely.
- Be patient and drain the vinegar thoroughly.
- You should wipe out the hose and remove it from the heater. Close the drain valve afterwards.
- The next step is to open the water supply valve and if there is a nearest hot water faucet, turn it on completely. Let the water flow in the tank and allow it to run through the drain.
- Now you can turn the water heater on after turning the faucet off immediately.
So these are the step by step procedure you can follow in cleaning your water heater. You can do it yourself, but you must ensure that you remember all the steps carefully and in a sequence. You should not worry about the clogging of the pipes or the water heater, because once or twice in a year you should clean the water heater.
What if you cannot clean your water heater yourself?
- If you are unsure and confused about how to clean your water heater, you don’t need to worry because there are some professionals out there and you should contact them to have your water heater cleaned.
- It will be better for you to clean it yourself because the steps are not very difficult either and you can save your money while doing it on your own.
After following all the steps, you can see that the water heater will work properly and more efficiently. So it would be best if you kept checking the water heater each now and then. If you take care of the heater daily, you may not assess too many issues.
This article can help you get the key steps, and after reading it, you will be able to clean the heater yourself. I have described all the points and actions as well as the general intro about this topic in an excellent manner, you will surely get plenty out of it, and it may help you in the long run.